Monday, June 02, 2008

Finished Project



I was a little apprehensive about this project, this being quite large and not my usual purse or handbag sewing. I've had this loveseat for quite a while. The foams and springs are fine. It's just the covers that are getting ragged and pilled. Then, I read about going green and making slipcovers. I borrowed some books from the library, found a couple I "needed" to buy and keep, and went from there. I still waited a few weeks and finally, jumped in. I finished it in one weekend. The usual slipcovers go from $60 to $90 depending on size. I spent $29.95 on the home decor fabric (from Ebay, of course). The labor, though, would have cost me $400 (that is, if I was to pay myself, he, he).

BEFORE


AFTER


Yellow walls and yellow sofa... YUP! I love yellow, what can I say ;-)

My mom, who's an excellent seamstress, and my husband, Joel, were quite impressed.

I also taught myself to sew dresses, using patterns ( I like Simplicity). I've since made several summer tops for me and a dress for Emily.




And of course, the usual purse or two:





and Flowers:
A rose from the backyard

some Columbine.

2 comments:

Candace said...

I love the loveseat. It's not a plain Jane anymore. Yellow and blue are so good together. Also, the dress and bags are really nice. I don't think that I knew what Columbine was, but it sure is beautiful. I just discovered your blog, and it is great. Love your quilts.

Roslyn Atwood said...

Great job on the couch! I have one I also need to slip cover, a 25 yr.old Flexsteel Hide=a bed! When I get my quilting commitments under control!
Love all your purses-I tend to stick with one because I can't be bothered transferring all my stuff to another bag!
Roslyn