Tuesday, July 23, 2013

I have several cones of variegated cotton yarn in my stash and a slowly disintegrating collection of dishtowels. Might as well knit some. This pattern is really simple, with garter stitch borders and plain stockinette body. To alleviate the boredom of knitting it and still make it a doable project while watching TV, I decided on this pattern. Mind you, it's not a new one. I've seen people knit this with their socks. The purl bumps appear on the right side of the fabric.

Purl 1 color Dishtowel pattern

(c) Vicki Suan

Materials:

4 oz Variegated cotton yarn

US 7 knitting needles

Gauge: 5 stitches per inch, stockinette

Directions:

Cast on 50

1. Knit 4 rows

2. (RS) Knit

3. (WS) Knit 3, purl 44, knit 3

4. Repeat rows 2-3 until piece is 22" long.

5. Knit 4 rows

6. Bind off

Note:

Again, you want the purl bumps to show on the right side. The color I picked to purl is the coral color (see picture). While working on the right side, as I came to the coral color, I knitted it first. After I turned the fabric to work on the wrong side, as I came to the coral, I knitted it as well, to make the purl bumps appear on the right side.

On the same note, as I was working on the back side of the dishtowel, I purled the coral color as I came to it. When I got to the right side, I purled the coral again, making the purls appear on the front side of the towel.

Clear as mud? Play with it. There are no set rules. I simply wanted that one color to be more prominent on the right side. Make a comment if you have questions and I'll get back to you.

1 comment:

Candace said...

I'm a pretty beginner knitter, I did some knitting years ago, but have forgotten most of what I knew. I'm going to give your dishtowel a try though. Appreciate your offer to answer questions, as I may have some.