Friday, June 25, 2010

We have been here in the Philippines for a week now. The last time I came home was in 1993. Now, it's a total culture shock. First, it's the climate. Temps range in the 80s but very very humid. In a matter of minutes, you feel your skin getting real sticky. I don't remember the streets being so narrow either. Tricycles are everywhere competing with the passenger jeeps and private cars. Not to mention the buses and trucks. Pedestrians cross every where with no fear for their lives. I am reminded of the game Frogger. You literally have to cross and run for your life.

I also can't help notice the clear division between the extreme rich and the poor.

I've had the chance to meet up with my best friend in College and my other best friend in high school. Both have really made something of their lives. One is studying for her Masters in Applied Math and the other, a well known pediatrician here in our province. I am so proud of them.

Tuesday, we will have dinner with friends in Elementary school. Being in a small town, they have kept in touch with each other and have remained friends.

I have done some knitting but not a lot. Understandable.

I will post pictures when I can.

2 comments:

Candace said...

Sounds like you are having a bittersweet visit, but it sounds like mostly sweet. I hope you'll share some pictures of your visit as well as your creations.

Marla Kellman said...

Have fun!!!