Monday, November 24, 2008



My little girl, Emily, who just turned eight, is spinning. She's creating these wonderfully chunky, slubby yarn that I'm going to hand dye and knit into a hat for her.

When I started spinning, I got really frustrated because the only yarn I can spin was this uneven, slubby, chunky stuff that I thought was totally imperfect. My teacher told me to enjoy that kind of yarn because once I got better and better as a spinner, my yarns will be the finer, more even variety (which was fine with me). But where's the fun in that?

Now, I crave the funky, chunky stuff. That is hard work.

1 comment:

Desiree said...

How cool! My Mom got my started spindling with a homemade drop spindle made from a CD. It is SO addictive! I feel like I'm being pulled apart, wanting to quilt and wanting to play with batts. Between that and the kids there aren't enough hours in the day, LOL! Way to go on teaching the craft to your kids!!